The Emerald Huaca

3 km / 2 miles from the city of Trujillo, in the El Cortijo Production Co-op (8 minute by car)
This archeological site is associated to the Chimu culture and was built linked to Chan Chan. The building has a rectangular base (65 meters / 213 feet long and 41 meters / 135 feet wide) and two platforms with central ramps. The adobe walls are decorated with zoomorphic and geometric motifs in high relief.

Citadel of Chan Chan

5 km / 3 miles northeast of Trujillo, in the Moche Valley (10 minutes by car). Telephone: (044) 20-6304 (Site Museum). Visiting hours: Mon. – Sun. 9:00 A.M. – 4:00 P.M.

This pre-Hispanic urban center represents the largest mud city in pre-Hispanic America. In 1986, it was declared a World Heritage Site by the UNESCO.

Chan Chan might have been the capital of the Chimu kingdom, originally including over twenty square kilometers, from the nearby Port of Huanchaco to the Campana Hill. Archeologists estimate that it lodged over a hundred thousand people. Plazas, houses, warehouses, workshops, streets, walls, and pyramidal temples are clearly defined in its structure. Its enormous walls are profusely decorated with reliefs of geometric figures, zoomorphic stylizations, and mythological creatures. The journey through the archeological site is complemented with a visit of the Site Museum.

Zoological Museum

Jr. San Martin 368. Visiting hours: Mon. – Fri. 8:00 P.M. – 7:00 P.M., Sat. 8:00 A.M. – 1:00 P.M.
Different species of regional and Peruvian fauna are shown: birds, fish, reptiles, insects, and camelids.

Calonge or Urquiaga House

Jr. Pizarro 446. Visiting hours: Mon. – Fri.9:30 A.M. – 3:00 P.M.; Sat. – Sun. 10:00 A.M. – 1:30 P.M.
It is the site of the Central Reserve Bank of Peru. It is a neo-classical house and has been converted into a museum where gold ornaments of the Chimu culture, the desk of Liberator Simon Bolivar, and furniture belonging to the Vice-royal and Republican epochs are displayed.

Casa de la Emancipación (Emancipation House)

Jr. Pizarro 610. Visiting hours: Mon – Sat.9:15 A.M. – 12:30 P.M. and 4:00 P.M. – 6:30 P.M.
In this place, also known as “De Madalengoitia”, the Marquis of Torre Tagle prepared the Trujillo declaration of independence in 1820. It was the site of the First Constituent Congress and later, the house from where President Riva Agüero ruled. This house is also called Civic Sanctuary of Trujillo. It also houses exhibitions.

Casa del Mariscal de Orbegoso (Marshall of Orbegoso House)

Jiron Orbegoso 553. Visiting hours: Mon. – Sun. 9:30 A.M. – 8:00 P.M.
This residence preserves the traditional Vice-royal character marked by stone floors, worked doors, and halls distributed in an elevated terrace. In its rooms, important collections of furniture, silver, canvases, and mirrors are exhibited. Likewise, temporary expositions are arranged.

Ganoza Chopitea House

Jiron Independencia 630. Visiting hours: Mon. – Fri.9:15 A.M. – 12:30 P.M. and 2:30 P.M. – 6:30 P.M.
For many specialists, this is the most representative house of Trujillo architectural style. The Baroque entrance uses many shades of color, and the Rococo front with the two lions (for which it is also known as the House of the Lion Facade) draws your eye. Complementing the style of the house are the Mannerist walls, Imperial windows, and the Neo-baroque balcony.

Plazuela El Recreo (El Recreo Square)

Jiron Pizarro, 9th Block
This old square with its impressive facade points out the road to the highlands. In 1986, it was restored, and the old fountain that once was in the Main Square is now there. You can also see the water tank that fed the lots of land in colonial time.

Iglesia Belén (Bethlehem Church)

Intersection of Calle Almagro and Calle Ayacucho
Its construction began in 1680 and ended in 1708. It was built with adobe, brick, and quincha (anti-seismic construction material). The entrance of the facade is marked by two towers with triangular pilasters. In the interior, the arches, pilasters, and pillars correspond to seventeenth century Trujillo tradition.